Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fierce Grace

Just got finished watching Fierce Grace and I now have a completely different perspective on the "hippie generation" that I have held in so much disdain for so long. These cats were seekers. Forever seeking the truth, fearlessly, where ever it my lie. Just as I believe I had, even a little bit in those years I spent diluting myself. I have always had this view of "hippies" as drug induced, go-nowhere, passive cowards. And maybe most of them were (I can still hang on to that right?), but they took their cues from men who were nothing of the sort, but aggressive men and women of concentrated bravery, searching the truth out, where ever it took them.
Ram Dass just have might been the trailblazer in this field of discovery. Closely followed by those who were to become teachers, mentors, friends, gurus, companions to the malcontent few that I consider myself to be a part of now. Our little group of branded spiritually guided misfits and outcasts. How much courage does it take to stand up to the world and say, "Your world of free love, drugs and endulgence is great. But we are headed in the opposite direction than we originally had set our intentions to go. I helped get us sidetracked and I am sorry."?
Thanks to Ram Dass and the people I will list, such a fearless leap into the fires of self-discovery and the embracing of the painful truth, continues with at least one person. Now to those whom I owe an apology and a debt of gratitude: (again) Ram Dass, Huston Smith, Jack Kornfield, Joseph Goldstien, Ajahn Amaro, Ajahn Sumedho, Stephen Levine, Krishna Das and I had a list of alot more which I am too tired to think of right now. I have spit upon your efforts to bring a level of awareness to a Babylonic place where it would never have come, in which I was finally, after 29 years able to find hope and solace. I set the intention of approaching world, leaving aside my unsolicited and ignorant opinions, with a heart of compassion and wisdom. And I need the help of you, who is reading this.
Take a look at the teachers in your life, some of them you may not even know are teaching you. Take from them their fortuidous and prevailing heart, and just allow yourself to open what may be closed. Stay vulnerable and exposed and you will be fed more than you can take. Give what you can't keep and then give just a little bit more. Find what you lack and then give it someone who needs it more than you. I think I may be on to something here. Not new information, a light has just been turned on where before it was dark.
TOGETHER

No comments:

Post a Comment